World

Survivors recount Libya flood horror

Sep 19, 2023

Tripoli [Libya], September 19: It was long past midnight when Abdel MoneimAwad al-Sheikh awoke to desperate screams from outside his home in the Libyan city of Derna, only to find his building engulfed by surging flood waters. "I took nothing but my glasses and phone and fled as the waters shook the iron doors like an earthquake," recounted the 73-year-old survivor of the deadly disaster.
He and his family managed to escape their first-floor home and rush up the stairs of the multi-story building as the raging waters tore away the front door and swept it into the darkness. From the top floor, they watched in horror as the tsunami-like tidal wave swept away entire buildings, cars and the people inside them, washing untold numbers into the Mediterranean Sea.
The enormous flood, fueled by torrential rains on Sept 10, had broken through two upstream dams and sent a tidal wave crashing down the previously dry riverbed, or wadi, that bisects the city of 100,000. A week on, thick mud cakes the devastated building where al-Sheikh and his wife lived, along with two of their sons and their families, in the city where the official death toll has climbed above 3,000.
Scramble onto roof
By the time they had reached the fourth floor that traumatic night, the water had temporarily begun to subside, but it was not the end of the nightmare, said al-Sheikh. Roughly 20 minutes later, "my son yelled from upstairs and said another, bigger wave, about 20 meters (66 feet) high, is coming". "We put up a wooden ladder and climbed up onto the second roof, where we stayed until after dawn."
As the sun rose over Derna, now a vast apocalyptic wasteland of shattered buildings and lives lost, a group of volunteers came to help them, most of them young men. "One of them had lost his entire family," said al-Sheikh. Amid the chaos, the true death toll remains unknown, with the health minister of divided Libya's eastern administration, Othman Abdeljalil, saying 3,283 people were confirmed dead in Derna. Libyan officials and humanitarian organizations have warned that the final toll could be much higher, with thousands still missing.
'Mountain of water'
Many who survived the flood lost everything except their lives, their homes now only shells emptied of their contents. Mohamed al-Zawi, 25, recalled that "all our furniture and things were moving" as water swirled through their home. The first wave was only at pavement-level, but the second came "with strength", quickly reaching the second and then third floors of his building. Zawi recalled seeing "a large mountain of water bringing with it cars, people, belongings . and pouring everything out into the sea".
Seated near what was once his home, the shock remains etched onto Zawi's face. "We had received warnings a day earlier that strong rains were expected and that we should remain at home, but nothing else," he said. UN experts have blamed the high death toll both on climatic factors and the legacy of Libya's war that has weakened its critical infrastructure, early warning systems and emergency response.
'I saw death'
Zawi said that when he finally managed to come down from the roof, once the waters subsided, he saw "25 or 30 bodies" along the nearby streets. He rushed to find shrouds for them, he said, before moving on to help the search for any survivors. In the same neighborhood, Mohamed Abdelhafiz, a Lebanese national who has lived in Derna for decades, recounted that "the earth shook" that night, and he initially thought a quake had hit.
"I saw death," the 50-year-old said, recalling how he had rushed out to his balcony only to find that the water had already reached it. Standing at an empty window frame, he pointed outside to the shattered city and said: "This whole area, from my house to the wadi, had three or four buildings." "Now, there is nothing. The ground is just mud, as though there were never any buildings here." - AFP
Source: Kuwait Times

More news

Nine more bodies found off southern Italy after migrant boat wreck

Rome [Italy], June 21: Nine more bodies have been found off the coast of Italy after a migrant boat carrying several dozen people capsized in the Mediterranean. The Italian coastguard pulled them out of the water about 100 kilometres from the mainland, authorities said on Thursday. This brings the number of confirmed fatalities to 17. It is feared that more than 40 bodies are still in the sea. The ship had set off from Turkey but capsized off the coast of the southern Italian region of Calabria on Monday night. Only 11 people were rescued. The survivors were picked up by a merchant ship when the boat was already half sunk. They were brought to the harbour of the Calabrian town of Roccella Ionica. The Interior Ministry in Rome has counted more than 23,000 people who reached Italy on boats this year. In the same period last year, the figure was almost 56,000. (dpa)

Jun 21, 2024