Sports

Nepali breaks own record by climbing Mt. Qomolangma 25 times

May 08, 2021

Kathmandu (Nepal) May 8: Kami Rita Sherpa, a Nepali mountain guide, broke his own record by climbing the world's tallest Mt. Qomolangma for the 25th time on Friday.
"Sherpa reached the summit of Mt. Qomolangma at 6 p.m. local time on Friday," Mira Acharya, director of Nepal's Department of Tourism, told Xinhua from the base camp of the peak.
"It is his 25th summit on the mountain," the official said.
A leader of the rope fixing team, Kami made his way to the top along with 11 other Sherpas from the Nepali side, becoming one of the first climbers in the season to conquer the 8848.86 meter-high peak situated along the China-Nepal border, according to a social media post by Seven Summit Treks, one of the leading expedition organizing companies in Nepal with which Kami works as a senior climbing guide.
Kami, 51, scaled Mt. Qomolangma in May 1994 for the first time and he achieved a feat of climbing the mountain twice in a single season in 2019 within less than a week as he reached the top for the 23rd and 24th times.
"His latest success has provided encouragement to the mountaineering community around the world at a time when the world is under the grip of the COVID-19 pandemic," Mingma Sherpa, chairperson of Seven Summit Treks, told Xinhua.
Kami had planned his 25th attempt to climb Mt. Qomolangma last year but had to give up after the Nepali government, in the second week of March last year, decided to call off all spring expeditions in the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak.
Though the pandemic is still raging in Nepal and the other parts of the world, the Nepali government greenlighted mountaineering this spring and issued a record 408 climbing permits, according to the Department of Tourism.
Kami has climbed most of the peaks of mountains above 8,000 meters in the world, among them K2, the second highest peak of the world, and Annapurna.
Source: Xinhua

More news

Nine more bodies found off southern Italy after migrant boat wreck

Rome [Italy], June 21: Nine more bodies have been found off the coast of Italy after a migrant boat carrying several dozen people capsized in the Mediterranean. The Italian coastguard pulled them out of the water about 100 kilometres from the mainland, authorities said on Thursday. This brings the number of confirmed fatalities to 17. It is feared that more than 40 bodies are still in the sea. The ship had set off from Turkey but capsized off the coast of the southern Italian region of Calabria on Monday night. Only 11 people were rescued. The survivors were picked up by a merchant ship when the boat was already half sunk. They were brought to the harbour of the Calabrian town of Roccella Ionica. The Interior Ministry in Rome has counted more than 23,000 people who reached Italy on boats this year. In the same period last year, the figure was almost 56,000. (dpa)

Jun 21, 2024