World

Mr. Trump denied rumors of choosing Ms. Nikki Haley as his deputy

May 12, 2024

Washington [USA], May 12: " Nikki Haley is not in my consideration for vice president, but I hope she is okay," former President Donald Trump wrote on the social network Truth Social on May 11.
Just before that, Axios quoted a source as saying that Mr. Trump may choose Ms. Haley if he is convinced that the former US ambassador to the United Nations can help him win re-election, avoiding the risk of being sentenced to prison in the cases. prosecute and cover tens of millions of dollars in legal fees if he loses.
Mr. Trump won enough votes to become the Republican candidate for the November election. Ms. Haley worked in Mr. Trump 's administration but was also a fierce competitor in the Republican primary. Republican Party.
Her campaign ended in March. Although admitting that Mr. Trump will be the party's candidate, Ms. Haley has not publicly supported the former leader.
If Ms. Haley continues to not speak in support and Mr. Trump loses in November, the large number of Republicans who support her may turn to criticism, threatening the former congressman's ability to run for re-election later. ceramic.
Republicans close to Mr. Trump and Ms. Haley's campaigns said that both would benefit from reconciliation, despite fierce competition in the primary election and differing views on some issues. big topic. The former ambassador has not commented so far.
According to Reuters, in addition to Nikki Haley , there are many other names that Mr. Trump could choose as his running mate, such as Governor Doug Burgum of North Dakota, Governor Kristi Noem of South Dakota, senators Marco Rubio, Tim Scott and JD Vance, Rep. Elise Stefanik. Mr. Burgum and Mr. Scott each participated in the 2024 primary before dropping out. Mrs. Noem is caught up in controversy when she revealed that she once shot a dog for disobedience.
Mr. Trump will be officially nominated by the Republican Party at the convention in July in Wisconsin. He will face President Joe Biden again in the election on November 5.
Source: Thanh Nien Newspaper

More news

Nine more bodies found off southern Italy after migrant boat wreck

Rome [Italy], June 21: Nine more bodies have been found off the coast of Italy after a migrant boat carrying several dozen people capsized in the Mediterranean. The Italian coastguard pulled them out of the water about 100 kilometres from the mainland, authorities said on Thursday. This brings the number of confirmed fatalities to 17. It is feared that more than 40 bodies are still in the sea. The ship had set off from Turkey but capsized off the coast of the southern Italian region of Calabria on Monday night. Only 11 people were rescued. The survivors were picked up by a merchant ship when the boat was already half sunk. They were brought to the harbour of the Calabrian town of Roccella Ionica. The Interior Ministry in Rome has counted more than 23,000 people who reached Italy on boats this year. In the same period last year, the figure was almost 56,000. (dpa)

Jun 21, 2024