World

Mexican president says no uptick in northern border migration following new U.S. rules

Jun 11, 2024

Mexico City [Mexico], June 11: Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said Monday that new immigration measures recently adopted by the United States had not caused an increase in the migration flow along the Mexico-U.S. border.
The current situation is very different from that of December when the number of undocumented migrants trying to cross the border caused an immigration crisis, Lopez Obrador told reporters at his daily press conference, adding that there has been no overflow in immigration in five months.
Last week, U.S. President Joe Biden issued an executive order severely limiting the number of people who can cross the U.S.-Mexico border to apply for asylum in the United States.
However, Lopez Obrador acknowledged on Monday that Mexico faces pressure from the growing number of migrants stranded along its northern border, as they come from countries with which the United States has poor relations and no deportation agreements. Those countries include Cuba, Venezuela, Haiti, Nicaragua and Guatemala, he added.
Lopez Obrador has urged Washington to negotiate deportations of undocumented migrants directly with the countries of origin following Biden's issuance of the executive order last week.
In addition, he noted, Washington has avoided addressing the root causes of northward immigration from Latin America, such as poverty and joblessness, but has instead chosen more hardline strategies to keep migrants out.
"On the issue of immigration, there has only been containment, walls, heavy-handed threats, militarization of borders and stricter laws, but they don't want -- it's complicated for them -- to address the causes," he said.
Source: Xinhua

More news

Nine more bodies found off southern Italy after migrant boat wreck

Rome [Italy], June 21: Nine more bodies have been found off the coast of Italy after a migrant boat carrying several dozen people capsized in the Mediterranean. The Italian coastguard pulled them out of the water about 100 kilometres from the mainland, authorities said on Thursday. This brings the number of confirmed fatalities to 17. It is feared that more than 40 bodies are still in the sea. The ship had set off from Turkey but capsized off the coast of the southern Italian region of Calabria on Monday night. Only 11 people were rescued. The survivors were picked up by a merchant ship when the boat was already half sunk. They were brought to the harbour of the Calabrian town of Roccella Ionica. The Interior Ministry in Rome has counted more than 23,000 people who reached Italy on boats this year. In the same period last year, the figure was almost 56,000. (dpa)

Jun 21, 2024