Hamburg firefighter saves toddler's life over phone

Dec 15, 2019

Hamburg (Germany) Dec 15: A father of a two-year-old boy and several passers-by in Hamburg managed to save the child's life by following instructions given by a firefighter on the phone. The child's windpipe was blocked by bits of a pretzel.
A mini-pretzel nearly caused a death of a two-year old boy in the northwest Hamburg suburb Eimsb├╝ttel on Saturday, German rescue services said.
Multiple callers reported that the child was unable to breathe and that his heart "was not beating anymore," the authorities said in a statement.
The emergency operator, an employee of the local firefighting service, was able to communicate with the boy's father and several passers-by and talk them through a reanimation procedure.
The amateur rescuers worked for around a minute before remains of the mini-pretzel were dislodged from the child's windpipe. The boy managed to cough it out and "began to scream."
"It's good news for all concerned: a child that screams is able to breathe and his heart is beating," the emergency services said in a statement published online.
Rescuers were at the scene less than half a minute after the boy regained consciousness. The boy and his parents were taken to a hospital.
"The little boy's life could only be saved by the combination of instructions received through the phone and the courageous efforts of the first responders," authorities said.
Source: DW News Agency